Contact Us
Unapproved Share Schemes are fairly common in Ireland. There are two taxes you need to be aware of. First, you will need to pay Income Tax when you receive the shares and Capital Gains Tax when you ultimately sell the shares.

1. Income Tax

In your case, under an Unapproved Scheme, your employer will not have deducted any Income Tax from your pay. So, you first need to figure out the Income Tax due and pay this over to the Revenue yourself. This income tax is known as RTSO (Relevant Tax on a Share Option).
Assuming you may have a tax rate of 52% you will need to allow for an income tax bill of €15,600 (€30K @52%). 


2. Capital Gains Tax (CGT) 

You will also need to be aware of paying CGT on any money you make over and above the value of the shares when you got them compared to the value the day you sell.
When it comes to selling your shares you have to pay tax in the form of Capital Gains Tax. In Ireland this is currently charged at 33% of the gain. The first €1,270 of a gain in a tax year is exempt from CGT.
The basic principal here is that you need to determine what your gain was, i.e. you pay tax on the difference between the value of the shares when you received them and the value of the shares when you sell them. 
For example, say you go ahead and sell your shares on 20 March 2022 for €33,000 as they have increased in value. The market value of the shares when you received them was €30,000. So, you would be liable to pay 33% CGT on your gain of €3,000.
Gain €33,000 - €30,000 = €3000 CGT (€3,000 - €1,270)* 33% = €570.90. 

We can help

TaxAssist helps thousands of taxpayers every year figure out what they Revenue, file the relevant forms and pay their tax. We will make sure you pay the correct tax whilst ensuring all reliefs are claimed. If you would like us to handle the tax on your share options get in touch for a free consultation today.


Book your FREE Initial Consultation



Date published 16 Mar 2022 | Last updated 16 Mar 2022

This article is intended to inform rather than advise and is based on legislation and practice at the time. Taxpayer’s circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this article, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Choose the right accounting firm for you

Running your own business can be challenging so why not let TaxAssist Accountants manage your tax, accounting, bookkeeping and payroll needs? If you are not receiving the service you deserve from your accountant, then perhaps it’s time to make the switch?

Local business focus icon

Local business focus

We specialise in supporting independent businesses and work with 6,246 clients. Each TaxAssist Accountant runs their own business, and are passionate about supporting you.

Come and meet us icon

Come and meet us

We enjoy talking to business owners and self-employed professionals who are looking to get the most out of their accountant. You can visit us at any of our 23 locations, meet with us online through video call software, or talk to us by telephone.

Switching is simple icon

Switching is simple

Changing accountants is easier than you might think. There are no tax implications and you can switch at any time in the year and our team will guide you through the process for a smooth transition.

See how TaxAssist Accountants can help you with a free, no obligation consultation

1800 98 76 09

Or contact us